Wheel spacers are an effective solution to enhance the aesthetics and performance of your car. They are metal rings that fit between the wheel hub and the wheel, increasing the track width and creating a more muscular appearance. They also offer benefits for the handling and stability of your car, especially in cornering situations. However, finding the right wheel spacers for your car model can be challenging. In this blog post, we will provide you with some guidance and advice on how to select and install wheel spacers.
What are wheel spacers and how do they work?
Wheel spacers are metal rings that fit between the wheel hub and the wheel. They have holes that match the bolt pattern of your car, and they usually have a center bore that matches the hub diameter of your car. Wheel spacers come in different thicknesses, ranging from a few millimeters to several centimeters.
Wheel spacers work by pushing the wheels outwards, increasing the track width of your car. Track width is the distance between the left and right wheels on the same axle. By increasing the track width, wheel spacers can create a more balanced weight distribution and a lower center of gravity for your car. This can improve the grip and traction of your tires, reduce body roll and understeer, and enhance the responsiveness and agility of your car.
Wheel spacers can also change the offset of your wheels. Offset is the distance between the wheel centerline and the mounting surface. If the offset is too high, the wheels will be too close to the car body, which can cause rubbing and interference. If the offset is too low, the wheels will be too far out from the car body, which can affect the steering or hit the fenders or other components. Wheel spacers can adjust the offset by moving the wheels outward.
How to choose the right wheel spacers for your Subaru Forester and other car models?
When choosing wheel spacers for your car model, you need to consider several factors below:
- The bolt pattern of your car and wheels. The bolt pattern is the number and arrangement of bolts or studs on the wheel hub or wheel. You need to make sure that the bolt pattern of your wheel spacers matches the bolt pattern of your car and wheels. For example, if your car has a 5×114.3mm bolt pattern, you need to use wheel spacers that have a 5×114.3mm bolt pattern as well.
- The center bore of your car and wheels. The center bore is the hole in the center of the wheel hub or wheel that fits over the wheel spacers. You need to make sure that the center bore of your wheel spacers matches or exceeds the center bore of your car and wheels. For example, if your car has a 56.1mm center bore, you need to use wheel spacers that have a 56.1mm center bore or larger.
- The thickness of the wheel spacers. The thickness is the distance that the wheel spacers push out your wheels from the hubs. You need to choose the thickness that gives you the desired look and performance for your car, without causing any rubbing or interference issues. You can measure the gap between your tires and fenders, and use that as a reference for choosing the thickness. For example, if you have a 10mm gap, you can use a 10mm thick wheel spacer to fill up the gap.
- The type of wheel spacers. There are two main types of wheel spacers: slip-on and bolt-on. Slip-on wheel spacers are simply rings that fit between the wheel hub and the wheel. They are easy to install, but they require extended wheel studs to secure the wheels. Bolt-on wheel spacers are rings that have their own bolts or studs that attach to the wheel hub, and then the wheels attach to the spacers. They are more secure and stable, but they are more expensive.
We opt for Subaru Forester 2021 as an example.
- bolt pattern is 5×114.3(PCD)
- center bore is 56.1mm(CB)
- after measurement, the gap between tires and fenders is 20mm, and for this thickness, we commonly choose bolt-on wheel spacers.
- Subaru Forester wheels are bolt-on wheels.
Hence you need 20mm 5×114.3 hub-centric bolt-on wheel spacers when shopping online. BONOSS wheel spacers are reliable. Every car model data are measured, encompassing bolt pattern and center bore because the data online is not accurate. You will not face fitment issues if you get BONOSS wheel spacers. Besides, BONOSS forged aluminum alloy wheel spacers are famous for their active cooling structure, which effectively helps relieve heat decay. It is a big deal!
Wish this post do help you find the best wheel spacers, cheers!