If you own a GMC Sierra truck, you may have considered installing wheel spacers to give your truck a wider, more aggressive stance. But is it safe and advisable to use wheel spacers on a GMC Sierra? In this blog post, we’ll dive into the pros and cons of using aftermarket wheel spacers on a Sierra truck.
Wheel spacers range in thickness from 1⁄4 inch up to 2 inches. The most common sizes for light trucks like the GMC Sierra are 1-1.5 inches. Thicker spacers will push the wheels out further for maximum effect. Brands like BONOSS make quality billet aluminum wheel spacers specifically for GMC trucks in a range of widths.
Benefits of GMC Sierra Wheel Spacers
There are a few reasons truck owners add wheel spacers to their Sierras:
- Wider Track Width – This is the main reason for wheel spacers. Pushing the wheels out a few millimeters per side greatly increases the truck’s overall width. This wider, more planted stance looks great.
- Clearance for Larger Tires – The extra space created by wheel spacers allows you to run larger diameter tires without rubbing. Useful if you want to upgrade to bigger tires.
- Improved Stance – A wider track paired with the correct offset wheels improves the Sierra’s visual stance. Reduces the “sunken” look that causes truck wheels to appear too far inset in the wheel wells.
Potential Drawbacks of GMC Sierra Wheel Spacers
If you use quality wheel spacers, there won’t be obvious drawbacks.
Only reputable brands should be trusted for wheel spacers.
How Much Wheel Spacer Width is Safe for a GMC Sierra?
Wheel spacer width for a GMC Sierra depends on the year and specific configuration. Older trucks generally used narrower wheel lug patterns and hub-centric wheels, so can only accommodate thinner spacers in the 20-40mm range.
Newer 2500 and 3500 models with 6 or 8 lug wheels can usually handle up to 50mm (2 inch) spacers safely. ISO Grade 12.9 studs are recommended for heavy duty trucks with more than 40mm of spacer width.
It’s also crucial to check that the wheel spacer bore matches your Sierra’s hub diameter and lug pattern exactly. Never exceed the wheel backspace limitations set by the tire/wheel combination installed on your truck.
Do GMC Sierra Wheel Spacers Affect Ride Quality?
Mounting the wheels farther outboard does slightly change the truck’s ride and handling qualities. Most drivers report better overall ride comfort and cornering feel when using 1″-2″ wheel spacers on a GMC Sierra.
With high-quality billet spacers properly torqued down, wheel vibrations and drivability issues are rarely a problem. Most truck owners love better handling and improved.
While there are cheaper wheel spacers on the market, you don’t want to skimp on quality with such a crucial safety component. That’s why discerning GMC Sierra owners choose BONOSS.
Here are a few reasons BONOSS makes the best wheel spacers for your truck:
- Forged 6061T6 and 7075-T6 Billet Aluminum – Made from solid billet aluminum. Offers superior strength.
- Precise Tolerances – CNC 0.02mm machined for perfect hub-centric fit. Minimizes vibrations.
- Durable Black Anodized Finish – Protects against curb damage and corrosion. Looks great behind custom wheels.
- ISO Grade 12.9 Studs – High strength wheel studs prevent stud breakage under hard use or when towing/hauling.
- Designed for OEM Wheels – Engineered specifically for OEM and aftermarket wheels.
- Thick 1.50″ and 2″ Options – Available in the most popular sizes of 1.5 and 2 inch widths for maximum clearance and offset change.