If you own a Mazda CX5, knowing the proper lug nut size and torque specs is important for safe tire changes and wheel installations. Improperly torqued or wrong sized lug nuts can lead to a variety of problems, from wheels coming loose while driving to damaged wheel studs. In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about Mazda CX5 lug nuts.
What Size Are Mazda CX5 Lug Nuts?
All Mazda CX5 models use the same lug nut size and thread pitch. The factory lug nuts are:
- Size – M12 x 1.5
- Thread Pitch – 1.5mm
- Hex Shape – 12mm hex
So if you need to replace your CX5 lug nuts or buy a set of aftermarket lug nuts, be sure to get the M12 x 1.5 size. Many brands offer this common size, though you’ll want to verify the thread pitch as well. Using the wrong thread pitch lug nut can damage the wheel studs.
What Torque Spec for Mazda CX5 Lug Nuts?
Along with the proper size, using the manufacturer recommended torque spec is critical when installing lug nuts. For the Mazda CX5, the factory torque spec for lug nuts is:
- 80-94 ft-lbs (108-127 Nm)
This is the ideal torque range whether you are swapping wheels for seasonal tires, changing a flat, or doing any other wheel removal. It ensures the lug nuts are tightened enough to properly secure the wheels, while not overtightening which can damage the studs.
Always use a reliable torque wrench when tightening lug nuts to spec. An impact wrench should only be used to loosen or initially snug the nuts, then final tightening should be done with a torque wrench.
Over or under-torqued lug nuts are a common cause of wheel issues and should be avoided.
When it comes to buying replacement or upgrade lug nuts for your CX5, I recommend the BONOSS brand.
- Precise OEM spec – BONOSS lug nuts match the factory size and thread pitch precisely. No issues with fitment or installation.
- Stronger steel construction – Forged from high-quality 50BV30 steel, these lug nuts are extremely strong and durable.
- Enhanced corrosion resistance – BONOSS treats the steel with a special black coating finish to resist rust and corrosion.
- Ideal hex shape – With the proper hex size, you’ll be able to remove or install these lug nuts without issue.
- Guaranteed durability – Backed by a 10-year warranty against defects and breakage.
Compared to cheap generic lug nuts or even the OEM parts, the BONOSS brand really is the best option for CX5 owners. You get maximum strength, durability, and corrosion resistance without paying dealer prices.
Whether you’re swapping wheels or simply need to replace a missing or damaged lug nut, understanding the proper Mazda CX5 lug nut size and torque spec is key. Be sure to use M12 x 1.5 lug nuts tightened to 80-94 ft-lbs for safe and secure installation. And choose quality aftermarket nuts like the BONOSS brand to get enhanced durability without breaking the bank. With the right parts and specs, you can keep your CX5 wheels on safely for the long haul.