For a 4Runner, a 1.25 to 1.5 inch wheel spacer is common and safe for most setups. If you own a Toyota 4Runner, you may be interested in installing wheel spacers to give your car a more aggressive stance. Wheel spacers push your wheels outward from the hub, effectively increasing the track width of your vehicle. This can provide a number of benefits, from improved handling to accommodating larger tire sizes. However, it’s important to choose the right wheel spacer width for your 4Runner to ensure proper fitment and safety. In this article, we’ll discuss what size wheel spacers you need for a 4Runner and provide spacer width recommendations.
How wide of wheel spacers are safe for a 4Runner?
When choosing wheel spacers, you first need to consider how wide is safe to go. As a general rule of thumb, a wheel spacer width of 1.5 inches or less is recommended for most SUVs like the 4Runner. It’s also important that your tires do not rub against your fenders or suspension when turning at full lock with spacers installed.
For a 4Runner, a 1.25 to 1.5 inch wheel spacer is common and safe for most setups. This provides a moderate increase in track width without compromising component life or drivability. Many 4Runner owners choose to run 1.25 inch spacers in the front and 1.5 inch spacers in the rear to help offset the rake from a suspension lift.
If you want to maximize the track width, you can safely go up to 2 inches of total spacer width.
What size wheel spacers do I need for my 4Runner?
The exact wheel spacer width you need for your 4Runner depends on a few factors.
- Tire Size– Are you running a stock size tire or did you upsize to a larger diameter and width? Larger tires require more spacer width to clear your fenders and suspension.
- Lift Height– Do you have a suspension lift installed on your 4Runner? More lift height allows you to run more spacer width without rubbing issues.
- Backspacing– Wheel backspacing (offset) affects how far your wheels sit in or out from the hubs. Less backspacing gives more clearance for spacers.
- Wheel Width– Are you running stock or aftermarket wider wheels? Wider wheels combined with spacers increase your track width.
Most stock 4Runners with no lift and moderate size all-terrain tires can safely run 25-35mm (1.0-1.4 inch) spacers all around. A 4Runner with a 2-3 inch lift and 33-285/70R17 tires can likely fit 50mm (2 inch) spacers without rubbing or alignment issues.
Always test fit your wheel spacers before driving to ensure proper tire clearance from all suspension and body components through the entire steering range.
When shopping for wheel spacers for your 4Runner, I highly recommend going with a quality brand like BONOSS. Here are some of the reasons why BONOSS wheel spacers are the best choice.
- Tight Tolerances– BONOSS spacers are CNC machined to tight tolerances for proper wheel fitment without slop or vibration.
- Active cooling technique – Grooves to cool the spacers and wheels
- Aircraft Grade Aluminum– Constructed from 7075T6 aircraft grade aluminum alloy for exceptional strength at a light weight.
- Hub-Centric Design– The BONOSS spacers are hub-centric to accurately center your wheels and prevent vibration.
- Hard Anodized Coating– The black anodized finish protects the spacers from corrosion and everyday use.
- Complete Hardware– Grade 12.9 mounting bolts are included for a secure install.
- 10-Year Warranty– Your investment is protected for 10 years to come.
Thousands of Toyota 4Runner owners already enjoy the look and performance of BONOSS wheel spacers. For the right fit, safety, and quality, BONOSS is my top recommendation for 4Runner wheel spacers.